Soul Recipe - Chee Cheong Fun with Thim Jiong
Sorry for the food presentation, i am really bad at this :(
Soulful Chee Cheong Fun with Thim Jiong (Sweet sauce) and Chilies with garlic.
I wanted to do this Chee Cheong Fun recipe from scratch but didn't have enough ingredients like rice flour and wheat flour so i decided to go for the easy or rather 'lazy' way, i use rice paper as the chee cheong fun ;).
But i made the Chilis with garlic and the Thim Jiong by myself from scratch and it tastes great.
Instead of looking for recipe i let my cooking sense run wild, i created the Thim Jiong by myself by adding whatever i think is possible to be in the recipe hehe...told ya! i am very adventurous when it comes to inventing recipe. ^_^
Ok here you go the Original Chee Cheong Fun Recipe
150g rice flour
1½ Tbsp Wheat starch flour or Tapioca flour
2 Tbsp Corn flour
1 Tbsp Oil
½ tsp Salt
1 tbsp of chopped spring onions
2 tbsp of chopped dried shrimps (soak in warm water to loosen / soften the texture)
1/2 cup of fresh shrimps
Thim Jiong ( Sweet sauce)
2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Hoi Sin Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tsp soy sauce
2 1/2 tsp of brown sugar
Chee Cheong Fun
1. Mix the rice flour, wheat starch and corn flour together.
2. Add water slowly and stir continuously.
3. Add the oil and salt and mix thoroughly.
4. Set mixture aside for at least an hour.
5. Prepare your steamer. Place an oiled plate onto the steam tray.
6. When the water is boiling, ladle and spread a thin layer of batter onto the preheated & oiled plate and and a sprinkle of chopped dried shrimps and shrimps. Steam for about 3-5 mins until the rice sheet is formed.
7. Remove the plate from the steamer and use a flat spatula to roll up the rice sheet and transfer to a plate.
8. Serve with Thim Jiong and Chili.
1. Heat the oil on a small skillet / wok on low heat.
2. Add the Hoi Sin Sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil and stir continuously for about 3min and remove from heat before it is served.
*Note: my lazy recipe is use the rice paper to wrap the dried and fresh shrimps and some spring onion and steam it for 3mins, this is easy but the texture of the rice sheet definite can't beat the fresh batter like the above mentioned ingredients.