Gula Melaka Sago Pudding with Banana
Soulful Gula Melaka Sago Pudding with Banana.
This is a popular dessert in Malaysia & Singapore, very easy to prepare, i added mashed banana in this recipe to make it more fun :)
250g palm sugar / coconut sugar (Gula Melaka)
2 cups of sago (tapioca seed)
2 cups of coconut milk (well chilled)
1 mashed banana (optional)
1. Soak the sago in the water for about 1 hour.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in the sago gradually when the water is boiled.
3. Stir frequently as the water returns to the boil, to avoid them sticking. The sago will float to the surface and be transparent when cooked.
4. Strain and rinse with cold water a couple of times to remove the starch.
5. Prepare the jelly mould (you can use a couple of small jelly moulds or just a big one), half fill the mould with the sago if it is a small mould to be served individually; or fully fill the jelly mould if it is the big one.
6. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until set.
7. Stir palm sugar and water over medium heat and stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves.
8. Simmer for 5 minutes, until the syrup thickens.
9. Remove from the heat and cool.
10. To serve, un-mould the sago (for those half filled moulds) ; for big mould cut it into wedges or whatever shape you like and and top with a little of the sugar syrup and coconut milk.
11. You can top the mashed banana as you preferred.