Soulful Glutinous Chicken - Loh Mai Kai
Soulful Glutinous Chicken A.K.A Loh Mai KaiMy first attempt to make Loh Mai Kai and it turned out quite well too.
Usually the Loh Mai Kai will have these main ingredient which is the " Lup Cheong" - the chinese sausage and "Char Siew "- bbq pork, but as for my Loh Mai Kai i do without it because i don't like pork.
If you are not like me don't eat pork, then by all means add the Lup Cheong and the BBQ pork into in it will definitely enhance the flavor of the glutinous rice.
Caramelized dark soy sauce
Shiu Hing wine / Fa Diu wine (chinese rice wine)
Five spices powder
A clove of finely chopped garlic
Glutinous rice (soak in water for overnight in order to shorten the steaming process)
Chinese mushroom (soaked in hot water and cut into half)
Boiled eggs (cut into quarter)
Optional ingredients: BBQ pork, Lup Cheong
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with Ingredients A for at least 2hrs (overnight if you prefer).
2. Drain the water out from the pre-soaked glutinous rice and steam for 30mins.
3. Add corn flour into the chicken and toss well.
4. Heat up oil in a pan, add in the chopped garlic and follow by the marinated chicken pieces and the mushroom. Cook till 90% cooked and set aside.
5. Spoon the chicken, mushroom, egg and the optional ingredients onto the small disposable aluminium tart mould, spoon in the glutinous rice and press until it is compact and firm and cover with the aluminium foil.
6. Steam for 15 to 20 min and serve hot.